(THIS IS A SAMPLE LONG FORM SALES LETTER)
IF YOU HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH DIABETES AND WOULD LIKE TO OVERCOME THIS SCOURGE AND GET BACK TO ENJOYING YOUR LIFE
THEN THIS IS MOST DEFINITELY FOR YOU!!!
WHETHER YOU WANT TO READ IT, OR NOT, YOU NEED TO READ IT!
If you are diabetic, then you almost certainly know that there are several different “types” of this disease.
- Type 1 Diabetes – the pancreas produces little or no insulin. The exact cause is unknown. What is clear is that the body’s own immune system “mistakenly” destroys the cells in the pancreas which produce insulin.
- Type 2 Diabetes – the body either resists the effects of insulin, or it just does not produce enough of that hormone to maintain a normal glucose level. There is no single factor that ‘causes’ this. Weight, fat distribution, family history, lack of exercise, age and ethnicity may all contribute to a diagnosis.
- Gestational Diabetes – a temporary condition in which expectant mothers can experience heightened blood sugar levels,
You are not alone, about 34 million people in the United States ‘have’ diabetes – one in every 10! The problem is not going to disappear any time soon, as currently it is estimated there are some 88 million people in the United States who are considered pre-diabetic. Certainly, a proportion of this group will become diabetic.
If you are diabetic, you know that you will have some of the following symptoms:
- Frequent urination.
- Lack of energy.
- Increased thirst.
- Slow-healing sores/wounds.
- Frequent infections.
- Blurred vison.
- Increased hunger.
- “Pins and needles” in the feet.
There is no cure for Type 1 Diabetes. It is managed through injectable insulin.
Gestational Diabetes is managed during pregnancy through exercise, diet and monitoring of blood sugar levels.
Type 2 Diabetes is usually managed by medication which helps the body utilize the insulin the pancreas produces, together with a combination of exercise and diet.
The major, but not the sole, focus of this paper is on Type 2 Diabetes. The reason for this approach is because:
- There is no cure, at present, for Type 1 diabetes.
- Gestational Diabetes is, usually, only present during some pregnancies.
- Type 2 Diabetes, the most common form, is usually presented as a permanent condition which is, hopefully, managed by medication and lifestyle adaptations.
I INTEND TO CONVINCE YOU THAT IT IS QUITE POSSIBLE TO CONTROL YOUR TYPE 2 DIABETES, SO THAT YOU NO LONGER NEED THE MEDICATIONS THAT YOU HAVE BEEN USING FOR SO LONG!
IF YOU WOULD RATHER NOT BE TAKING GLIPIZIDE, METFORMIN, OR WHATEVER OTHER DIABETES MEDICATIONS YOUR DOCTOR HAS PRESCRIBED FOR YOU. YOU NEED TO KEEP ON READING.
THE TRADITIONAL MEDICAL APPROACH TO TREATING A DISEASE TOO OFTEN FOCUSES ON SYMPTOMS, NOT CAUSES.
It is highly likely that, if you have Type 2 Diabetes, the diagnosis and treatment followed this pathway:
- Hopefully, some advice on lifestyle factors that could affect the diagnosis.
- Continued or revised treatment.
This is usually carried out by the measurement of the amount of sugar detected in a small sample of blood, usually taken from the finger. You know how annoying it is to do that several times each day. If the sample indicates a level of 7.0 or above the diagnosis is Diabetes.
With a Glucometer and Test Strips you are expected to measure blood sugar levels, one or more times a day, and to record these measurements. Medications will be prescribed.
Ideally you should receive information about diet, exercise, weight control and managing stress. I hope you received such information. Not all who need it receive it.
Usually, every 3 months a laboratory-tested blood sample will give an A1c number. A1c is a measurement of the percentage of hemoglobin, a protein in red blood cells carrying oxygen, that is glycated – coated with sugar. As red blood cells have a life of approximately 90 days, the A1c test provides a reasonable measure of how well you have managed your diabetes in that 3-month period
Continued or Revised Treatment
If the blood sugar level has not diminished from the figure that led to the diagnosis, the doctor may well increase your medication dosage, or try a different medication package.
IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT THE FAIRLY TYPICAL PROCEDURE IDENTIFED ABOVE, FOCUSES ON SYMPTOMS AND PAYS SCANT ATTENTION TO CAUSES.
THERE IS AN ALTERNATIVE APPROACH WHICH SEES CORRECT DIAGNOSIS AS BEING THE FUNDAMENTAL BUILDING BLOCK FOR A TREATMENT PLAN THAT LARGELY AVOIDS THE POTENTIALLY HARMFUL EFFECT OF PRESCRIPTION MEDICATIONS.
Welcome to the world of FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE (FM).
This is an approach that recognizes the patient as a unique individual. FM has a focus on identifying, and addressing, the root cause of the disease.
- A traditional medical approach tends to be focused on sickness and treating it as early as possible. FM is much more oriented towards health and the prevention of sickness.
- Traditional medicine usually makes a diagnosis based on symptoms, while FM looks for underlying causes.
- While traditional medicine is becoming more and more specialized, FM is more holistic, considering the whole body.
WHO IS PROVIDING THIS INFORMATION?
A very legitimate question. As you have reached this stage in this paper you obviously have some interest in the topic and have a right to know who is providing this information.
I am Dr Wayne Haskell, M.P.H, M.D. Having gained my Master of Public Health at Stanford University, I then obtained my M.D from Harvard University. My specialism was, and remains, Family Medicine. For 20 years I worked in hospital and group practice settings in California. In the last five years I have become more than somewhat disillusioned about how my colleagues and I were treating our patients’ problems – largely through focusing on their symptoms.
My MPH studies encouraged me, not just to look at a health problem and overcome it, but to look at why that problem existed. In the first 15 years of my life as a doctor I was ignoring a treatment aspect that increasingly seemed to be of great importance.
It was then that I became aware of the Institute for Functional Medicine. I joined, became certified by them, and 2 years ago established a company, Advanced Functional Medicine (AFM).
Based in Santa Monica, California, we have 25 full-time staff, – doctors, chiropractors, physiotherapists, psychologists, nutritionists and clerical staff. Our main program is our Diabetes Reduction Program, and we have two other programs dealing with stress- related problems.
The starting point of our program is to help you understand why you developed Type 2 Diabetes.
Most of our clients relate that their doctors tell them three things:
- If you have family members who are diabetic then the disease is probably of genetic origin, and there is nothing you can do about it.
- The best treatment for you is to take your prescribed medications regularly and monitor your blood sugar.
- Type 2 Diabetes is incurable.
At AFM we have a quite different approach. Our starting point is discussion with YOU, the reason for our existence, about lifestyle issues, medical history and aspirations.
- We will organize an extensive battery of tests through an independent laboratory. These tests will include stool, urine, saliva and food sensitivity analysis, together with a battery of blood tests. You will receive a copy of the test results and our staff will discuss them with you. These tests assist us in understanding why you have developed Diabetes.
- You will be encouraged to keep taking your prescribed medications, recording daily blood sugar levels, and your meal details.
- We, at AFM, encourage you to talk with your own doctor about your involvement with us. The best results are more likely to be obtained when all involved in your health care work together.
- We will frequently provide for you dietary supplements, designed to remove some ‘bad’ by-products of a typical American diet. To the maximum extent possible we recommend that processed food be no longer part of your diet.
- We hope you will be able to keep the appointments to meet with us every 3 weeks during the program.
- During your participation in the program you will have one or more sessions with a doctor, a chiropractor, a physiotherapist and a psychologist. Your regular meetings will be with a nutritionist.
Once we have the laboratory test results and analyzed the information on lifestyle, medical history and aspirations we will develop, with YOU, a plan that has as its major aims:
- Reducing your A1c number.
- Managing your Diabetes by decreasing the adverse effects it has on your life.
- You being no longer considered as being Diabetic!
- Assisting you with diet planning.
- Providing you with appropriate, organically produced supplements.
In our meetings with you we will discuss whatever program-related issues are important to you. This is YOUR program and if it is not meeting your needs it must be modified. Talking about diet will be an important part of each meeting. Each of our clients is an individual and YOUR dietary needs and preferences are very important.
If the chart of your blood sugar measurements shows a downward trend, we will suggest an initial slight reduction of one of your diabetes medications. As an example, if you normally take two 10mg Glipizide tablets with breakfast, we may recommend taking only one. At our next meeting we will see what effect the reduction has had on your daily blood sugar measurements. While a downward trend in blood sugar numbers is desirable, such a trend when it is accompanied with a reduction in diabetes-related medication is even more desirable.
Working with you to achieve an A1c level of less than 6.0, without diabetes medication means success. YOU ARE NO LONGER DIABETIC.
In the 2 years AFM has been in business 377 people have enrolled in our program. On average you would spend 6 months in the program – some may achieve their goals in a slightly shorter time-period, some may take slightly longer. Fifteen people left the program for a variety of personal reasons. Of the 365 who completed the program only 12 did not either reduce their medication or reduce their blood sugar levels. Of the remaining 353, 226 now take no diabetes medication and have A1cs below 6.0. They are no longer diabetic. The balance of 127 have reduced their daily diabetes medication by an average of 50%.
Peter, aged 58. “I was diagnosed with diabetes 10 years ago. My A1c was consistently above 8.0, and I have been taking a total of 6 pills each day to try to control my disease. My wife persuaded me to try the AFM program. I now have lost 20 lbs, my A1c is 6.2 and I take 2 pills per day. I am still diabetic, but I feel much better with much more energy. Thank you, AFM, and a special thanks to Sophie for encouraging me to join the program.”
Manuela, aged 64. “I have been diabetic for about 12 years. When I joined this program, I was 18 lbs heavier than I am now. After 6 months with AFM my A1c has gone from 7.8 to 5.7. Instead of taking 4 pills a day I now take NONE!!! Thank you, AFM and especially to Rita my wonderful nutritionist.”
John, aged 51 and Jenny, aged 50. “Married couples should do a number of things together, and as we are both diabetic, we decided to enroll in AFM together. Jenny has been diabetic for 3 years and I have been diabetic for almost 5 years. We were both overweight and both of our A1cs were usually between 7.3 and 7.9. We were now ‘empty nesters’ and felt it was time we did something for ourselves. Improving our health became our goal and we chose AFM to help us. What a wise decision we made! Seven months on the program, and this is what we have achieved: Jenny has lost 17 lbs, and I have lost 15 lbs. Both of us now have A1cs below 5.9 and now we are no longer taking ANY DIABETES MEDICATION. Thank you, thank you AFM, you have given us a new lease on life.”
THIS IS MOST DEFINITELY FOR YOU.
THIS IS YOUR DECISION TIME.
I have no doubt in my mind at all that you are tired of:
- The continued ‘finger-pricking’.
- Not being able to eat the foods you once enjoyed
- Lots of medication, some with potential harmful effects.
- Considerable concern over long-term health.
NOW IS THE TIME TO TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR HEALTH AND ENROL IN THE “ADVANCED FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE” PROGRAM.
Click the RED button below to take the first step by enrolling in AFM’s “YOU CAN CONTROL YOUR DIABETES” Course, commencing in the second week in January.
Laboratory tests, medical examinations, dietary supplements, Menu and Lifestyle booklets and all consultations during the course are included in the cost.
The cost for the total program is $5,000. Most medical insurances will cover part of the cost of the AFM program. Our office staff will assist you in that area.
Time for you TO TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR HEALTH and click on that RED button NOW.
We cannot give you an iron-clad guarantee that our program will result in you no longer being considered diabetic. However, 62% of those who have completed the program are no longer diabetic and take no diabetes-related medication. An additional 35% have reduced their medication by an average of 50%. Only 3% of those who completed the course did not succeed in reducing either their A1c levels or their medication.
We are very confident of our ability to assist you to control your diabetes. So confident, in fact, that we are prepared to make you an offer that we have not previously made. Should you, at the end of the first month, decide that this program is not for you may keep all program materials and we will refund all but $500 of your fee.